Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"Literally, the worst day of my life"

Well everybody, it has been my turn to blog for roughly 18 months now, and I have just now decided to come out of retirement and continue on with this thread of literary golden nuggets that we had previously established. A lot has changed in this short amount of time. 18 months ago, I slept with my feet less then 12 inches from Brocks head, and usually got struck by some type of hard object in the middle of the night to stop my snoring. Corey slept about 20 feet away, around the corner, on our couch, where his usual waking time on a good day was around noon. We all combined to have less then $47 in our pockets (alright, that probably hasn't really changed much, and that might be a generous estimate). Corey and I gave plasma for $$$ to get by, and Brock, actually I don't know what Brock did to get by, but there was usually a little less milk, cereal, and ice cream around every time I opened the fridge. He is still alive (I think??), so put 2 and 2 together and....I don't even know, but he got by. We were your prototypical poor college kids with a friend that slept on the couch (thats normal right?).

In this short absence,
Brock is now married (miracles happen folks) and lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Corey is almost married (fingers crossed) and lives in Portland, Oregon.
I also managed get married (hallelujah) and live in St. George, Utah.

So I guess life finally slapped us in the face with a 2x4? I don't know. If we could all sleep within several feet of each other and be bums for the rest of our lives and give plasma twice a week just for food, that would have been really nice. But, there were already too many people at Belmont doing that and I guess we have to grow up at some point. But this blog is my last ditch effort to prolong that growing up thing, and rekindle some great memories and conversation that are maybe worth a read. Anyways, I've now been rambling for plenty long and your probably asking your why your even reading this. Despite our distance from each other, we have had 1 common bond over the last year to keep us close. Fantasy Football.

I received a text from Corey the other night that said "this is the worst day of my life!" This came shortly after being bounced from the Santa Clara Players Association Fantasy Football League as the #1 seed in the first round of the playoffs, and the game winning field goal for his Cowboys being blocked by the Giants as time expired. This my friends, is the beauty of sports. Where we rely and grow to love on these random people throwing a pig skin object around to prevail us over another friend in fantasy football, which obviously shows that we are vastly superior in knowledge when it comes to the performance of these athletes. So after all of this took place, and I received this text from Corey, I started to become concerned about his sanity and mental health. This raised the question to me, how much is too much? How much can you emotionally invest into a sports team or your fantasy football team before it has become too much? I thought this question was worthy of A. shaking off the cobwebs and making a post since it has been my turn for a year and a half. B. to preserve Corey's mental health and get him off his writers stump to contribute to this blog once again. C. to see if Brock is still alive, and D. to give me something to do because this is possibly the slowest time ever to do Real Estate (who wants to buy a house on Christmas?) So with those questions, and this short catch up session, I leave you my friends. It has been pleasure.

Love,
B. Robert Frei

2 comments:

  1. Well look what the cat dragged in... I had forgotten this blog even existed until it delightfully popped up on my newsfeed tonight. I too am assuming Brock is alive, but can't be certain as he has been at work since 4am and still isn't home. Sadly this is typical these days. I'm excited to see where this blog goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a follower! Yes, it is one of the bloggers wives, but you are an actual human being so we will count you. Glad to hear that A. you think Brock is alive and B. that you are doing well. We hope this blog has not breathed it's last breath haha.

    ReplyDelete